Thursday, June 18, 2009

What about me Wednesday


I do not understand a great deal about the previous generation. What I mean by that, is that my parents and many others of there age group seem to have a set of values, that differ greatly from my own. I have gathered most of these observations from my parents, but some from other "adults" as well.


1. Company

How I react: If my friends come over, I'll clean up a bit, and make sure that the couch is clean. If the floors are super dirty, I'll vacuum. On the whole though, these people are my friends...they've been to my house before. They know I live here, they've probably eaten here. So why in the world should my house look like I don't "live there". What I mean is that why because people whom you trust, and those you go to for support suddenly become judgemental assholes waiting to strike. For a clearer explanation, read the following.

How my parents react:For a very long time, we would have company over one saturday a month. My aunt, and her two daughters. They are the closest family I had then, and they are still the closest I have now. I enjoyed our times together, but heaven help me the 5 hours before they got there. My mom would be in "DO NOT ACT UP TODAY" mode. One would think an important diplomatic envoy was coming. I mean, vacuuming every little space, behind every piece of furniture. The 90 mph fluff, stuff, cram, and clean. They would walk into the house sparking and smelling of lemon pledge. My mother's first word "Please come in, and excuse the house, it's a complete disaster." I always wanted to pipe in and say "Mom, don't lie, this is the cleanest this place has been since labor day!" The best part is that my mother would tell my aunt everything. Every little detail about her life, so my aunt knew the house didn't look like this normally, nor would it look like this in 12 hours. This still happens today, in fact my mother is remodeling half of her house for my sister's graduation party next week.

Here's what I don't understand. Unless it's the first visit, doesn't all this hub bub make having company more trouble then it's worth



2) Grass

My view on grass: It is cushier to walk on then cement on the way to my car

My parents view: It is a sacred plant not to be tread on

I don't get why someone would grow a perfectly good lawn not to step on it. I mean, there really is no other application for grass, just walking on it. So, I don't get it.



3)Growing-up

My view on growing up: Optional. As long as I pay my bills on time, and handle my responsibilities, why can't I have "fun" later. I don't see why this part of my life must be sacrificed.

My parents, coworkers, and everybody older then me it seems: Maturity, responsibility, and a willing sacrifice of all fun and personal activities must take place as early as possible in life for one to become a success.

This seems like masochism to me. People living there lives who aren't happy. I couldn't do it. They view me playing games, and going to midnight movies as "immature" activities and constantly remind me that they have "real" responsibilties and cannot do that kind of stuff any more. I remember my father telling me to "grow-up" it had to be at least 10000 times during my adolescence. I hate that phrase. What does it mean to "grow-up" anyway. To me, it means become boring, and to lose something magical in your life. Or maybe it's to lose the ability to believe in magical things and things beyond belief that most "grown-ups" can't do. I am a grown man, and I take care of the responsibilties in my life. I pay all my bills, I have a good job, and a loving relationship. Yet to many I still have "growing up to do". What they will never understand however is that to me, that's giving up on life, and I don't ever want to do that.


There are many more, but this is all I have time for today. I'd love to hear your opinions, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. My parents are the same way before company comes over. And I remember spending the entire day dusting and cleaning before friends would come over. As for my house, well, I have 3 kids and a dog. I also have a wife that is a full time student and works full time. That doesnt make for a very tidy house. If anyone drops by unexpected my wife will always ask me, "OMG! You didn't let them come in the house did you?!" Especially if it is my mom. I sit there thinking, "I remember my house growing up. This is no worse so why would she care?" So, I always assure my wife that I kept my mom outside in the freezing rain and snow while we catch up on things.

    ReplyDelete