I discussed last week how I didn't understand relationships that go no where, and how they will ultimately fail...well, I can now say that the relationship I discussed last weekend finally went somewhere, but unfortunately no where good. Differently things set different people off. For some it's a substance like alcohol, for others it's a behavior or event. I am of the latter persuasion. In everyday life I am a very mellow guy. I try to see the joy in the little things as I've expressed many times on this blog. But that all can change if I see 1 of the two things that piss me off more then anything else. Those two things are bullying, or a man hitting a woman. I can not stand this, it makes my blood boil. I love and cherish my wife, and the life we have together. I love my family, every member, even though I might not always agree with them, and I will protect them if necessary! This weekend it was necessary. You remember that relative I spoke of last week, well this past weekend that bf of hers finally went off the deep end with a capital D. He not only stormed out twice on Saturday, but then showed up Sunday to pick up his things. During which he pushed my relative into the wall. Up until that point, I had been OK with staying out of it. It was their fight, best not to get involved. But I do not stand for abuse, or bullying, and this was both. Suddenly I was shouting up at the asshole, making him shift his anger to me, rather then her. I'm 6'3" and almost 300 pounds, she's a third my size. If someone was going to get hurt, I'd rather it be me. I've taken it before(that's how I got my arm broken), and I would gladly take it again for someone I care about. He came charging down the stairs at me, swearing he's going to kill me. For a second I'm a pre-teen again, hearing my dad coming up the stairs after I'd done something bad. I snap back to reality, and he's still coming, so I back up to get my footing. He slams me into the wall I'm 14 again, and being pushed into a locker , my fight or flight kicks in, I can hear my heartbeat in my ears, every muscle tensing waiting to react at my command, and as gpes to push me again, I suddenly realize that I'm not 14, I'm bigger, stronger, and I'm pissed! He's shoved 6 feet back and stops just short of falling over the scanner. He didn't like that, but he also didn't expect it. Coming back at me fist cocked, chest bumping me, waiting for me to give him an excuse to hit me. My knuckles were white, my pupils dialated, and every instinct in my body said "HIT HIM!, BEAT HIM DOWN!" I resisted, and he did too. Cause we both knew, if one of us swung, we might get the first hit, but we would both do damage to each other. He started shouting obsenities and calling me names, I didn't care, let him talk, let him say whatever the hell he wanted, just let him be focused on me. Then I heard the words "Yes Hello, 911, yes, my fiance is attacking my son-in law, and he's threatening to kill him, I'm so scared." My wife joined in and saying "GET OUT OF OUR HOUSE!" Once he heard the police were coming, he became less interested in me, and left to get more of his stuff calling me a "F&%^%ing nerd" like a 6th grader as he left. 10 minutes later he left, and 11 minutes later the cops came. Great timing guys. We gave statements, and then went about the day, trying to comfort each other, and deal with the stress. For the rest of the day though I felt very strange. Hours later, I still felt angry, and like I wanted to hurt this guy. It felt weird, yet kinda good. I didn't like it, but then later that night, I think I recognized what it was. For the first time in my life, I had stood up to a bully, and come out on top. I mean sure, I didn't beat him up, but no one got hurt, and he walked away. I didn't flinch, I didn't show fear. For a person who was bullied there entire life, this was quite the feat. So maybe something good came out of this afterall. So the music for my monday was "Down the the sickness" by disturbed. Cause you never know when someone could just snap!
well, as scary as it must have been, i am very proud of you, and i don't mean that in a patronising way, i imagine your whole family is proud of you, to protect is a powerful thing, you are a very special guy!
ReplyDeletebully's are the worst, and you dealt with one, without beating him to a pulp, which is no mean feat!
i'm sure he is out of all of your lives now, thanks to you.
this is a very moving post
have a great day RileyScott
sal xxxxxx
Wow - that's a lot of stress for one day.
ReplyDeleteGood for you - sticking up for yourself and your family. I hope y'all are able to move past this and I hope your family member realizes what a tool that guy is.
Oh yeah, she does, no worries about that. He's HISTORY, especially now that he's harassing her, and we're getting an order of protection and mace.
ReplyDelete