Monday, March 16, 2009

When I get an idea in my head

I have ADHD or Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, I've had it all my life. This means that I have a tendency to fidget with things, shake my leg for apparently no reason. Most of this is unconscious, and I'm not aware that I do it until my behavior affects someone else. It's also probably the root cause of my delayed-sleep phase syndrome, but I digress. Luckily, I am a high functioning case of ADHD, in which I am also very bright, which helped me get through school without basically ever having to study. I'm telling you all this so that when i tell you what happened to me on Friday evening, you'll understand when I say, I really couldn't help myself.

On 3/13 I was at work, and wracking my brain for a surprise gift for my wife. I had already gotten her a CHI hair straightener, but she had to help me pick it out, and I wanted to get her a surprise. So the trail of thought of my brain went kinda like this.

Jewelry? No, she only wears her ring and locket... Video Games? There aren't any out that she'd like, and she always claims she has no time. Clothes? Do I really want to give myself a migraine? Damn, what do I get her? Then I remember her complaining about the lack of space around our coffee table aka storage bin we use as a table. AHA! I could get a new actual coffee table for her! But what kind!? How much do I have to spend?! What kind would she like!? RESEARCH NEEDED!?

Keep in mind, while all this is going on in my head I was at work solving a difficult problem. But that wasn't what was important....I had to research coffee tables. Now, the problem was solved by me, and the research was had, but I just find it funny, that once I had that coffee table idea, I just RAN with it. I couldn't even help it, it was at the forefront of my mind for the rest of the day. This is what always happens when I get an idea.

Anyway, so after work, I headed to Target to look at their inventory. Most sucked, and all their tables were on the top shelf. Excuse me, but if I'm looking to buy a coffee table, I would really like to see it at ground level thank you. So, I find one that I think will work, but they are out of stock....typical. So i ask to buy the floor model (I've had great success with this in the past), but they say that they don't do that. I have them call The Riverhead store to see if they have any in stock. None.....AH foiled again! So I head to Wal-Mart, which is fortunate, cause they have the storage bin that we currently use so I can get the measurements off of it. I then head to the furniture section. The two coffee tables they have are flimsy pieces of crap with no storage space, then I turn the corner and I see it....in the TV stand section. It's the right height and width and has three open shelves! It's only 100 dollars!?! A few minutes later I was sliding it up to the front register.

Getting the table home and in the house, I quickly cleared a space in the "Space", and proceeded to assemble my surprise. OK, I'm not the handiest guy around, but i got this together with relative ease. I only scratched it once cause I slipped and dropped a leg on the top cover. No worries though, the slight scratch was easily covered with the remote boat. After a quick run back out to get the flowers I'd forgotten on the way home, I returned and awaited my wife to come home from work. When she did, this was waiting for her.

She was completely surprised and she loved it! WHOO HOO!





1 comment: