Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What about me Wednesday


So what can you learn about me this week. Well, I love to sing. In the shower, in the car, to my dog (great audience, really), and on rare occasions even to my wife. It's such a freeing sensation, and provokes an intense emotional response.

Now, am I any good, well...I think I'm very slightly above average. If you talk to my mother or my wife, they will say that I am a good singer. Heck, my mother has wanted me to try out for American Idol since the show came out.

I know that I can project my voice very well, and I have a pretty good ear for pitch and tone. When I was growing up, I was in chorus, select chorus, church choir, and I knew I was good then. Heck, when I was 17-19, I could sing the hard parts of N'sync and backstreet boys songs (it was the late 90's and they were everywhere, sue me!). I actually tried out for a band when I was in college, but they went with an all girl line-up. So what happened to make me think that I'm just OK now? Well, my voice changed when I was 20, and I went from a really great Tenor to a novice Baritone over a summer. Ever since then, I've just never really gotten use to my new range. Probably why I like Xmas songs so much, as anyone can sing them and sound good, :).

For an example of what I sound like when I actually sing something that's in my range well, the song "Purpose" from the broadway show "Avenue Q" is something I happen to think I sing very well, and pretty much on pitch too.

1 comment: