Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What about me Wednesday

For the last six days I have been plagued but persistent knawing heartburn. This is abnormal for me, but I have felt this type of pain before. When I was a waiter at Denny's, one of the few perks was free fountain drinks. *BIG SMILE* I must have drunk like 10-12 glasses of diet coke a night, 5 days a week for about 6 months. Then i started having these heartburn pains, which got worse when I drank more Diet Coke. I switched to raspberry tea, and the pain went away, and I didn't drink as much Diet Coke anymore. Fast forward 5 years, and I'm back to my old bad habits again. Drinking as much as 6 cans per day, with only ice tea at night when I came home. Usually I'd mix it up with gatorade or Snapple, but lately it had just been Diet coke all the time. And just like the last time, I started getting heartburn. I'm pretty sure that it's just my esophagus and stomach reacting to all the acidity I've been feeding it. So this past weekend, I put down my carbonated friend, and started drinking arizona and powered ice tea mix along with what seems like gallons of water. Hopefully I'll be able to make it stick this time, and reduce or even completely eliminate my Diet Coke habit all together. The Heartburn has gotten better since I stopped, so I take that as a positive sign. I'll let you all know how it goes.



So I've had a little trouble coming up with topics for this category. Therefore, I've come up with an idea. Ok, actually I didn't come up with it, Tom did, but I liked it so much that I'm giving him the sincerest form of flattery. So, what do all of YOU out there what to know about me? For some inspiration, I can refer you to my list of 100 things about me. Is there anything on there you'd like elaborated? Let me know. If I get responses early enough, I might actually get one up today.



Also, today is the first day of my Wii Fit Diary! *cue fanfare*

I've had Wii Fit for almost a year now, and it is been used on again off again whenever my wife and I have felt like it. With it's help and eating better last year I lost 40 punds and got down to my lowest weight in years 270lbs. Keep in mind that I'm 6'3" and have a naturally wide frame. Nevertheless, I felt SO much better then I do now at 293lbs. I gained it all back over the winter because I stopped exercising, and cheap food became more important then good food. Add in the family feasts, the bitter cold house which makes you want to do nothing but bundle up and watch a movie with something freshly baked that usually involved chocolate, and you get a nice recipe for adding 20 lbs in 3 months. Well, no more. Spring is here, and I am going to lose that weight again! So what better motivation then public humiliation if I fail. So I'll be keeping track of what Exercises I do on the wii fit, as well as any other strenuous activities, like I plan to play softball on June 3rd which will leave me sore for a few days. My goal in all this is to workout between 20-30 minutes at least 4 times a wee, and hopefully lose 15 pounds by June 28th so that I can fit in the Roller Coasters at Great Adventure easier. So yesterday I weighed in at 293lbs, and did 20 minutes of various exercises.

Super Hula Hoop (aerobics, warm up)
Half-Moon pose (Yoga, I think I should do Yoga before aerobics next time, good to stretch first.)
Plank (Strength Training)
Torso Twist (Strength Training)
Side-leg twist (Strength Training)
rythm boxing (aerobics)
total wii fit time:20 minutes

5 comments:

  1. Too much of anything is never good for you. Scale back at least on the Diet Coke. Especially if you know it creates trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. diet coke is sooo bad, my cousin drank so much it literally stripped her stomach lining and she ended up in hospital!!!

    well done with the wii fit, i'd like one of these, i'm just worried i'd cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd only be cheating yourself Sal. :), jk

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no doubt there are healthier choices than diet coke. And if stopping drinking it before eliminated your heartburn, its a good chance diet coke was the culprit.

    Good luck with the wii fit program. My daughter is using it and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut way back on my diet coke I only allow myself one a day and sometimes I make it a whole day without one...once in awhile I cheat and have 2 but Im doing pretty good at one a day!!! Good luck to you!!!!! oh and have fun with the wii program lots of people do that and like it!!!

    ReplyDelete