The music for monday is from the New Star Trek movie currently out. You hear it during the first 10 minutes of the film. It is such a gloriously constructed scene, that I had to share it here. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for anyone. Like I said, this is the intro scene of the film and you have to wait a grand total of 5-10 minutes to hear it, but it almost brought me to tears it was so powerful.
The scene is that George Kirk has been made Captain of the ship through the current circumstances. He is just simply outgunned by the enemy vessel and has ordered the evacuation of the ship. Including his wife who is in Labor with their child. As the escape shuttles launch, it becomes clear to George that unless he protects the shuttles, they will not escape. Then this haunting beautiful melody is played over the scenes of explosions, George on the bridge of the ship working all the consoles alone, cut to his wife in labor on the escaping shuttle, cut to a brilliant piece of acting where George seeing no way that he'll last much longer, sees that the auto-pilot has been disabled, and he'll have to stay and pilot the ship into a collision course, the last ditch effort to give the shuttles enough time. With only a moments hesitation, he inputs the course, and is resigned to his duty.
This entire scene is played without any dialogue or sound effects. Just this beautiful melody playing over the images onscreen. It was such a powerful scene that I had to share.
the song is called "Labor of Love". I urge all of my readers to download it through the method of their choice.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Music 4 my Monday
Labels:
labor of love,
Music 4 my Monday,
Star Trek
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I just listened to it on youtube....wow its a song that you could actually totally relax yourself listening to!!! I wasn't sure what to expect after reading what you wrote... but it is alot like the music I like to listen to when I just want to clear my mind of everything....thanks for sharing it!!!!
ReplyDelete