I use to have an AIM away message that read "It's the little moments in life that matter the most." I really do believe that. I think alot of people go through life and don't appreciate the little moments. Stuff like Christmas lights, or the first snowfall of the season. Of the sound of the bird early in the morning, your favorite song coming on the radio, winning at your favorite game, or a golden sunset across the horizon. There are little moments everyday, and I see so many people let them go by, cause to them they are "just little things". I'm not one of those people, and I had three such moments over the weekend that I'd like to share.
The first was on Sunday as my wife and I drove to my mother's for a BBQ. We had taken my Wife's car so we could get it washed on the way. Now I had been to this car wash many times on saturday afternoons, which is when I go after having my car serviced friday evenings. This time it was just after 5pm, which starts their night owl pricing, but also stops the policy of paying inside. Instead, you pay cahs and you get to RIDE THROUGH! I had gotten to relive this rare childhood treat a few years ago while working for Hertz Rental Car, but my wife had never driven through. She'd never experienced the scrubbers pounding against the car, the rainbow colored soap coating the car in what looks like melted rainbow sherbert, the hot wax, and the dryers forcing the water up and away off the windows. Anyone who's done this knows it's a trip, but it was so neat watching my wife experience it for the first time. She really got a kick out of it, and even though it wasn't my first time, so did I.
The second was watching my wife see the movie "Speed", which I picked up for 6 dollars at CVS, for the first time. Now granted, the film isn't going to win any oscars, but it did keep you on edge of your seat for almost the entire film. I must admit that it was a trip to see my wife gasp, ooh, and aww just like I did when I first saw the film.
For a full appreciation of the next moment, please take a minute to view the video below.
So my wife and I were figuring out the new scanner that my mother-in-law procured to digitize her old photographs. After figuring out the way to scan negatives and make them into digital pictures, my wife remarked..."I wish their was a tv in here so I could watch movies while I did this."
Immediately thinking of the almost year old Macbook in the "Space"(den) I replied "Think about that statement for a second hun." I figured that my very intelligent wife just needed a nudge and she'd pick it up no problem. But for some reason, it just wasn't coming to her. So I said "So you're telling me that there isn't a portable device in this house that can play movies on it."
Her eyes flashed with recognition, and she said "Or I could use my Macbook" I smiled and nodded, and having both seen the episode in the video quite recently, we then burst out at the same EXACT TIME "THERE IT IS!". We had great laugh about that. Like I said, just a little moment.

oh I love those "little moments" I am always saying that its the little things in life that mean the most!!!!! And I truly believe that...so many people let those moments pass them on by its so sad..because they just don't realize what it is they are missing. reading what you wrote reminded me of last summer we went to South Carolina and it was the first time I seen spanish moss growing in trees. I actually had no idea where it came from other then the craft store for when I needed it for a project. Josh was so amazed by how I reacted to seeing it and getting out and grabbing some of it to bring home with us. He used to live in Florida so he had seen it lots of times but not me....and I was just so amazed by it and he just kept smiling at me and saying how it was so awesome to see me so excited over that and that he was the one that got to experience it. We have had many other moments like that too that was just one I thought Id share. Thanks for sharing yours with us....never ever lose that part of your relationship!!!!
ReplyDeleteso true, i can measure so many amazing things by those small moments that mean so much...i'm fairly easy to please, i always say its the little things that make me feel so happy/loved/peaceful...
ReplyDeletegreat post!
You are absolutely right about the importance of the little moments in life.
ReplyDeleteAnd about the fun of going through a car wash. I love that!