Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What about me Wednesday (Memorable moments 1)

For a while now I've wanted to start a series on this blog about my most prominent memories. You know the kind that really stick with you, and pop up occasionally in your head years later. Some make you cry, and others make you smile all day long. I think that these are so important in life. So as my "What about me Wednesday post", I'm going to start this series off.

Now, I was going to try and start this series off as chronologically as I could trying to remember back as far as I could to my first memory. I have that post planned, but while writing a very long comment on someone else's blog, I realized that it was exactly the kind of post that I wanted to write. Also, a fellow blogger and follower of mine recently lost her dog, so I hope this cheers her up, but I apologize if it has the reverse effect.

So without further adieu, I present to you my first memorable moment. The moment I fell in love with my little white fluffy dog.

Time: Febuary 2007

I remember that it was a Friday when I got the call. My mother-in-law called me and asked me to please help my wife clean the floors really well when I got home. This seemed rather odd to me, not that my MIL doesn't like her house clean, but since I had moved in 3 months prior, the floors had never really been that much of a concern. My first thought was, is she bringing home a dog? Why I thought that I don't know but I sure was right. My MIL had gotten my wife (fiance then) a little Havipoo. It's a designer little white fluffy dog, it's hypoallergenic, and cute as a button. I was disappointed because I like medium sized dogs (like the terrier/sheperd mix my parents have). I'm a big guy, so to now be the owner of this little white puff ball that yips and will never be bigger then a small cat was, well disconcerting.

The first two months we had the "thing" (it was too small to really be called a dog), I tried my best to ignore it, and to not step on it. Which was hard since she was very little, and loved to paw at our legs. I really thought that I was going to kill the dog by sitting or stepping on it. It made me so nervous, and all I could think was "Ok, the dog is here now, and all I have to do is not kill it, and everything will be fine." I had dreams that I sat on the dog by accident, and my fiance throwing her engagement ring at me. She was the smallest, tiniest little dog you ever did see. Her whole body literally fit into my one hand, and just her legs dangled off. We got her doggie toys that she couldn't fit in her mouth. The cats had loads of fun beating up on this new little moving toy that we'd gotten them. I remember one time watching the Siamese cat actually jab at the dog's head for a good five minutes, batting it away every time the dog came to sniff at it, which was about every ten seconds. At the end of this "boxing" match I recall our little puppy walking away sideways like she was dazed, which come to think of it she probably was.

Then something happened that changed our relationship. I threw out my back. There is a special segment of the population who can throw out their backs when they are 26, and I am a member of that prestigious group. I was pretty much house bound for a week, in ALOT of pain, and home alone mostly. Well, everyday that week that dog never left my side except to go to the bathroom. She ate her treats next to me. Laid on top of me when I slept, and licked me when I was in pain. She really cared about me, and I guess that's when I started to love her back.

We've had alot of memories with our little fluffy dog over the years, and I'm sure I'll share more with you as the weeks, months and years go by. Yesterday I was coming home, and my mother-in-law was bringing her back from a walk that she'd taken with her other dog friend. As soon as she laid eyes on me she started pulling and tugging (no minor feat for an eight pound dog mind you) my mother-in-law across the law to get to me. It really is wonderful to know that something finds the fact that you're home so mind-blowing that it literally tries to hop out of it's skin just to touch you.

Dogs really are amazing. They even can imitate there owner's behaviors, I caught mine doing this one day if you can believe it.


Wonder what that means, :)

2 comments: