Friday, April 10, 2009

One day, Wheelchairs will be obsolete


According to this post over at Gizmodo today, the first commercial Robotic Exoskeleton is coming SOON!

According to the post, the exoskeleton can give people ten times normal human strength while performing certain activities. It will be able to dramatically improve recovery time for people who have their limbs injured, and especially for people with degenerative muscle diseases. I actually think that in 10 years, these things will be everywhere. Your local wal-mart will have a guy in one doing ALL the lifting and loading for the day and not breaking a sweat. The first construction crew to get these will be in high demand. I mean imagine being able to pull ten times what you can now. Or dig a hole with a HUGE shovel without feeling the exertion. Arthritis and old age got you down, well strap on your exosuit, and you can easily play with the Grandkids like you were twenty again! I've seen these things in action on youtube, and you can lift 500 pounds like 200 times with almost NO effort. It is truly amazing to see something like this within my lifetime.

Now how much do you think this will cost? 500,000, 100,000, 50,000?

Nope, for just 4200 dollars this amazing piece of technology can be yours soon. They are just rolling it out in Japan later this year, but 10 years folks, 10 years, just think of the possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i showed Deion this...big mistake. he now wants one...like...today! lol! it is incredible, in fact, i think it gave him hope for the future, like it will many people..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought of you guys when I read this, and figured I'd post it up for people who don't read gizmodo to see.

    ReplyDelete