
I have a decision to make.
Ten years ago I worked at a movie theater in ronkonkoma, ny. First it was Hoyts, then it became Regal. I spent my college years scooping popcorn, hawking candies to people in the theaters, cleaning up messes left by masses of children, and selling overpriced tickets to the people I use to go to high school and junior high with.
The original starting crew of the theater when it opened was about 60 people. Among those 60 starters, after about 3 months, 15 remained. I was one of these 15. Now others came and went over the years, but us starters always had a kind of pride about launching the place and it was sad when one of us left.
Now I wouldn't say that these were the best years of my life, and it certainly wasn't one of the best jobs. Which is kind of why all the starters bonded, because we were all stuck in this pit together. Now, like most of my jobs, I started out being ostrasized, made fun of, and pretty much written off for any kind of social hangings out. After a year or two, the people realized that I was really just a kind sweet guy, and accepted me for the most part. I still didn't do the after work parties, but it wasn't because I wasn't invited.
The decision I have to make is this. A group of starters and pseudo-starters(people who befriended the starters, hung out at the theater and eventually worked there too) have been reaching out to each other over facebook. Most of us have moved on, gotten married, one of us even has a kid, and there's another on the way (no, not me). So, since it's a little over 10 years since we started at Hoygal all those years ago, one of the people got the idea for a reunion. Within a day, it went from an idea to definately being on to this saturday at the local Dave and Buster's (kind of an adult chuck e cheese if you will). The decision is whether to go to this or not. The factors are thus.
-I don't drink normally, but don't want to be a party pooper
-While I'm in all of the conversations about the reunion, no one actually asked me to come, I assume I'm invited, but I'm not sure
-While there are people going that I'd like to see, there are an equal number of people who I don't want to see, and whose relationship with me all those years ago was tenuous at best. This mainly stems over the guy who broke my arm (he pushed me, my ankle twisted, and fell on my arm, not like he swung a bat or something). He'll be there, and while we've seen each other since then, we just kinda of grimace and nod.
-I'll get to see Kathleen, Jen, and even Jodi who seems to have matured over time (not sure), but she's been friendly over facebook.
-I'd like to bring my wife, but I don't want to bring her into a tense situation (if it is tense), but I still kinda want her there if it is.
I didn't go to my High School reunion, because I didn't want to walk into a room full of enemies. I'm wondering if this is any different? What do you guys think I should do?
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
What about me Wednesday (decisions)
Labels:
What about me Wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Actually I can not find any reasons for you not to go.
ReplyDeleteYou don't drink? So what. Drink water. Most people these days realize that drinking and driving is stupid.
If you have been part of the planning, no one would outright invite you. It is just assumed you like the idea and will be there.
There will be people you don't really care to see? You said yourself that there will be people you DO want to see. The ones you dont want to see may not want to see you either. So just concentrate on talking with the ones you do want to see.
There is one being overly friendly via facebook? Great! That is proof for you that people change over time. I have friends on Facebook that would not give me the time of day in High School. People mature. 10 years is a long time.
As for your wife, simply inquire if anyone else is bringing their spouse. If so, bring your wife. If not, leave the decision up to your wife. She may realize that you all will be talking about past things that she was not a part of and she may feel awkward. On the other hand she could be the emotional support you need.
So I say GO! I doubt you will be at a loss for things to talk about. You all have that shared bond. I am sure you will not regret going!
well geez I have nothing left to say I think Tom said it perfectly!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo? Did you end up going? If so, how was it?
ReplyDelete