Ah, the holiday season is upon us. That means lots of different things to a lot of different people, but for the Mrs and me this weekend it means primping for my aunt's annual Christmas party at the Wantagh inn.
Now the Christmas party is for a good cause, and it gives me a chance to see my extended relatives who I wish I was closer too. The food is fantastic, and it's open bar. There are just a few logistical problems.
First: The fact is that I'm not close to my relatives, and even though I wish I were, it's not going to happen. We are very different people, and we've been out of touch so long that trying to explain my likes and dislikes is just so difficult that I usually give up halfway and listen to their next vacation plans. They seem to take a week's vacation to some exotic destination like once every two months. I don't know how, but I guess it's their thing. Also, 3/4 of the people there are not my family, just friends of my Aunt's family. So, they have as much interest to me as any other random stranger.
Second: The Wantagh inn's party room is far too small for the number of people they invite. It's like elbow room only on the dance floor, and you just feel crowded.
Third: Its formal dress. Now keep in mind that I wear sneakers and sweaters to work. I'm not exactly a dressy guy. Heck I wore sneakers to my wedding for pete sake.

So I am not looking forward to wearing the clothes that I avoid all year. Not at all. Plus it means that I have to get a haircut. I do not enjoy these forced grooming rituals, and it makes what should be a 3 hour affair leak into the beginning of the day.
Now I know what your all thinking...that I'm being a baby for going to a free party, and having to go through the motions. After all there is good food, free drinks, and a DJ. Now ignoring the fact the my wife and I will have a drink each and then switch to diet coke, there is one thing that I forgot to mention.
Edit: So we're back from the party, and it wasn't as bad as we were expecting. Apparently there was another party amongst this group of friends so only half the usual number of attendees were there. So there was enough room to walk around this year, and just barely enough room to slow dance. The DJ was still terrible (Grandma got run over by a reindeer for dinner music...yikes!). We had the same question all night being the resident newlyweds "How's married life?". It's understandable since that was the last time people saw us, but by the end of the night, we were both like "It be alot better if we never heard that question again, heh heh". All in all though it was an ok night. I got a ton of compliments on how my wife looked beautiful (in a dress I picked out, seriously I made her try it on, what can I say I was having a good husband day that day). I know that in this day and age, we're suppose to be "above" all that, but when someone compliments my wife I can't help but have a little bit of pride about it.
Well until next time...good night
-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:
Post a Comment