Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11


I was sleeping when the first plane hit, and my friend called me at 9 am and all i heard was her tears and sobs on the other end.

"Turn on the TV" she said

"ok, ok, calm down, what channel"

"It doesn't matter"

I turned the TV on, and was watching live as the second plane hit. an hour later my mother and me watched in horror as the tower fell. I think the thing I remember most are the fact that living on Long Island all this was happening 40 minutes away. We heard the Jets streaking across our skys, and the helicopter patrols. i remember no one was at the movie theatre where i worked that day. I remember having a conversation with my ex that night about WWIII, and the draft possibility, and how if their were a draft, she would want me to get her pregnant so she wouldn't have to go. I mean the day before it was bologna or salami for lunch, and I just couldn't believe I was discussing things like this at 20 years old. It was so unreal, and yet everywhere, on the faces of Everyone, no one knew what to do or what to say.

I think the below post says it all really.



This was posted on MSN this morning in a where were you when 9/11 happened forum.

I am a high school teacher and that morning, our classes were attending a program in the auditorium. I shall never forget the janitor coming in, getting me and telling me to come to her office, where she had a small television. The first plane had hit, so no one really knew what had happened. Soon, the second one hit; then the third at the Pentagon and a fourth in Pennsylvania. The REALITY of that moment was something I will never forget. Never before had America been attacked. Who could be so bold or so foolish to do this? Suddenly, I became nauseous; light-headed and I knew that I had 30 students to face. When I went into my first class, I turned on the TV and watched silently and tearfully. Teachers were turning from CNN to NBC to ABC to CBS, trying to get more coverage.

My class was a sophomore Humanities class. They were fifteen or so and seemed stunned more than anything else. One young woman turned to me and asked, "What does this mean"? All I could say was, "From this moment forward, your life will never be the same, ever. WE ARE AT WAR". I frightened myself when I said it and I'm still frightened. God Bless America and her people.


You know what...she was right

2 comments:

  1. RileyScott, good to have you back . . you were missed. Thanks for sharing this post . . it's hard remembering but harder to forget. A big hug to you 'cos it's important to do things like that, especially today . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RileyScott, Yes, she was right, life hasn't been the same since, the threat is there, the proof of vulnerability of so much life. The posts today have been so emotional, so unified, that's where the hope is ((HUG)) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete